Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/20/d268022878/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 988

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/20/d268022878/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 988
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
FAROO Forum • View topic - What index does Faroo.com search results come from?

What index does Faroo.com search results come from?

Questions, Problems and solutions

What index does Faroo.com search results come from?

Postby afita » Mon May 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi.

I am wondering what index does Faroo.com search results come from because I crawled some pages on my PC and using the local search interface (on 127.0.0.1) they get displayed in the results, but on Faroo.com they don't appear.

Example: I crawled and indexed some pages (by visiting them with IE/Chrome) about "autechre move of ten" (from Wikipedia, from DIscogs.com, from Allmusic.com). These pages appear when searching locally, but none of them appear when using Faroo.com.

I would think that Faroo.com searches through all the network, aggregates the results and displays them.

Thanks.
afita

Re: What index does Faroo.com search results come from?

Postby Wolf » Wed May 22, 2013 6:14 pm

The results from Faroo.com come from gateway peers which are hosted on our servers and connected to our p2p network.
Those gateway peers allow to search the p2p network from the browser without installing a p2p client on your own computer.

afita wrote:I would think that Faroo.com searches through all the network, aggregates the results and displays them.\nThanks.

Faroo is not a unstructured p2p network like Gnutella which searches by flooding the whole network.
Faroo is using a distributed index based on distributed hash tables (DHT) instead.
In this approach there are a certain number of redundant peers responsible for each keyword, and only those peers are searched.
As not all peers are online at the same time (e.g. those peers where it has been originally indexed to are now offline), it might take some time for the synchronization and republishing algorithm to update all redundant peers to the same index state.

Also, that a page has been crawled, does not guarantee that a page will be returned within the top-100 results for a certain term.
Wolf
Site Admin

Return to Support